Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Morgan's Chance!!

Yesterday I received a phone call that made me smile.

A little back up...

Last year I worked for a Public Charter School. It was such a great experience. This school actually challenged their students. The students were "learning".
Last year, I had a hard time sitting back and watching my 2nd grader doing things that the Charter School's 1st graders had done the first half of the year. Now that my 2nd grader is in 3rd grade, she's still "reviewing" and they have been in school for over 3 weeks. ARG!
My biggest complaint is that our public elementary schools don't challenge our kids.

Any way...To get into this Public Charter School you have to be entered into a lottery draw. Even though I worked there at the time, I had NO "extra pull". My kids did not get picked. But their names were put on a waiting list.

Well...Morgan's name made it to the front of the list yesterday. YYYYEEEEAAAHHH!
So today's her last day at Ammon Elementary, and tomorrow she will start Taylor's Crossing Public Charter School. I am so excited for her. She will get the best opportunities. I can't stress that enough. Plus, having her in the school gives Kylie and Ian "sibling status" when it's their turn. (which gives them a better chance at getting in when a spot is available)

Kylie cried last night, not out of jealousy, but was sad that Morgan wouldn't be able to share the same experiences with her. Kylie LOVES Ammon Elementary. She is a huge fan, and I love that about her. Even though she doesn't see Morgan during school, she loves knowing that she's there in the building.

Anyway, I'm excited. I hope all of you like the teachers your children have. Make sure they are being challenged! If not at school, try to challenge them at home. Our kids can learn a lot more than we give them credit for!

Kristen

2 comments:

The Freed Family said...

Good Luck to Morgan. I think it would be hard to have kids in different schools though....so hopefully the others get in quickly. Will you have to drive her? We have 2 families in our ward (one which is my neighbor)that attend Taylors Crossing. I know I will have to adjust to the idea of kids in different schools because they won't all be in elementary forever...they will have to go to middle school and jr. high and high school.

Laura Call said...

How great! I'm excited for Morgan... and for you since you've been wanting this for your kids. Congrats!! I couldn't agree with you more about being challenged in school and especially needing the extra support/push/help at home. Ethan has been fortunate with amazing teachers that really seem to stretch him. So far I'm disappointed with Ellie's teacher because she's doing things I did with Ellie back in Joy School... are you kidding me? That was PRE-preschool. I know they have to review and see what kids know and don't know but poor Ellie's excitement for school has already worn off and she's coming home telling me how bored she was... what? Kindergarten should NOT be boring! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I see where you're coming from. Congratulations on the exciting news... I hope it's a fantastic year for her!!